Well......this should be interesting, to say the least.
I have never kept a blog before, in fact until a couple years ago I wasn't completely sure what a blog was exactly. Thank you BBC Sherlock for informing me on this piece of information. This post is basically trying things out so I can figure out how things work in here and to introduce myself.
So a little about me, my name is Sapphire. Yes, exactly like the gem stone. Fitting since I was born and raised in the gem state, Idaho. I am starting this blog as a school assignment but I am hoping to use it after I finish college so Navigating the Field of Early Learning it is. I am a Early Childhood Development and Special Education Major which means I am learning how to help children from ages about 0 - 10 years old grow, develop and learn as well as being a special education teacher.
I hadn't always planned on being a teacher. As a child I remember going through the common phases. I wanted to be a singer. I wanted to be an actress. Then, if fifth grade, I discovered my love of writing and wanted to be an author. Toward the end of middle school, about when they start giving you those career tests and such, I decided it would probably be a good idea to have a back plan. Even at that age I knew there was only about a 50/50 chance of my stories doing well enough to make a living off of.
So, I went with the only other option I thought I would be good at during that time. I had already started babysitting at age 11, found I loved children and they seemed to love me as well, so the logical choice was to become a teacher. More specifically an elementary school teacher because frankly middle school and high school students scared me. It seemed like the perfect choice. I would be working enough to help earn income for my future family, but could be at home for my children because I would have the same hours they would while they were in school. Yes, even in middle school wanting to be a wife and a mother was never a question.
That is where I started to enter the field of Early Learning. I started taking high school classes that had anything to do with family sciences. Then, my career choice took another shift at the end of my sophomore year of high school. I was intending to get a job for the first time and was applying to day cares around my home town. When I went to print of my resume in my computer teachers classroom she inquired to where I was applying. When I told her about the day cares I had been trying she became very excited and insisted that I try the place where she brought her young girls. So I did. She and another one of my teachers who also brought her little girl there both vouched for me and I was hired.
It took me all of one summer working in what was officially called and Early Learning Program to know that is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Before I had finished high school I had already started my journey in the great field of Early Learning. Somewhere along the way my back up plan had become the forerunner without me even realizing.
Now, here I am, on the threshold of my senior year of college. In little over a year I will have my bachelors degree and hopefully on my way to being a nanny somewhere in order to gain some experience in new locations.
However, first I have to pass my classes and this blog is supposed to be part of that. I will leave this here for now and hope I haven't made to many mistakes. Well, hope you enjoyed this post, for the few people who will read it and hope you continue to journey with me as I navigate the field of early learning.
See ya,
Sapphire
No comments:
Post a Comment