Friday, September 15, 2017

Family and Community Relationships Post 1

Hello again,

It hasn't been very long since my first post and now I need to post for the class that this was originally made for. Family and Community Relationships.

My older brother, like me, was in a choir while he was in college. Though he was far away we were fortunate to watch his performances on line. They did many wonderful and difficult pieces. One in particular stood out to me. I cannot remember for certain but I think it was called "It takes a Village," composed by Joan Szymko. In a nutshell the song talks about how it takes a village to raise a child. I could strongly relate because I was raised where all my neighbors were family or very close family friends, basically we had our own little village. My aunts, uncles and cousins were just as much a part of my life as my parents and siblings were. Up until kindergarten I rarely interacted with other people other than on Sundays when my family would attend church.

This song is accurate in many ways. One of the first things you learn as an educator or care giver is that no child comes alone. A the very least there is one parent or care giver that you will also be interacting and working with and for many children you will be dealing with an entire 'village.' Parents, siblings, other relatives, doctors, specialists and sometimes previous teachers, are only some of the many people that are involved in a child's upbringing. The ability to collaborate and communicate with others are essential skills to any care giving profession.

Which is what this class if for. Familiarizing ourselves with the various people in a family, community and other professions that we may have to work with while in a child care profession as well as the laws and other technicalities that will come into play.

It is those laws and technicalities that I know I need to know very well before I head out into a career. What laws apply to me and what I will be doing and which ones do the people I am working with need to abide by? What resources are available to me not only as a child care giver but also as a future parent?

I am looking forward to becoming more knowledgeable in these topics and improving my interactions with the parents and other professionals I will be coming in contact with on a daily basis once I am fully out in the field.

Until next time,
Sapphire


1 comment: