No, this is not some blog post about one of the numerous battles
to lose weight and have better health. Today’s blog is about step-families.
I was pretty young when I was first presented with the
reality that not everyone came from a traditional family. I cannot remember if
it was a play or some other production that the local high school was putting
on. In front of us sat a familiar woman, my school lunch lady. A very happy,
older woman with a sweet personality who know me by name and always gave me a
smile. Next to her, in the seat right in front of me was a girl about my age. I
ended up talking to her and found out she called the woman Mom even though the
woman looked the same age as my grandma and the man sitting on the little girls
other side, who looked the same age as my grandpa, she called dad. Now, not
being a very tactful and very inquisitive child I did not hesitate to ask about
it and the girl explained they were her grandma and grandpa but they were the
ones who took care of her and so, to her, they were Mom and Dad. It blew my
mind and I am sure I thoroughly embarrassed my parents as I continued to bombard
her with an endless stream of personal questions about her “real” parents.
Though I am more than a little chagrinned looking back on
the incident I am still grateful for it. It was the first time that my idea of
family was challenged. Making me realize that “family” could mean something
more than biological parents and siblings. Of course I hardly grasped the
concept then but when I did I would always think back at that time.
With every passing year a set definition of family has
become more and more vague. There are many kinds of families. Grandparents
raising their grandchild or grandchildren. A mother raising her children alone.
A man raising his children alone. Two men. Two women. Parents who adopted their
child. Older siblings raising their younger siblings. The list is endless.
Another type of family that has become increasingly common and was part of our
discussion in class this week was the blended family. Step families. Mixed
families.
Clifford J. Sager in his book called “Treating the Remarried Family,” defines the remarried family as one
or both of the partners in the relationship having been married previously. We
spent a brief period of time mapping different types of remarried family and it
becomes complicated very quickly. Especially when there are children involved.
Often times there are more than two sets of grandparents and extended family. Then
there are step parents, parents, siblings, step siblings and half siblings.
Still, despite the complications and challenges that a step
family often faces does not mean they cannot be as close and functional as any
other family. In class we discussed a couple points that can help step
families.
One is to have patience. My teacher pointed out that it
takes at least 2 years for a blended family to settle into any real sense of
normalcy. It takes going through the new daily routines dozens of times before
the combined families, who previously had a different way of doing things, to
find an avenue that works for both of them. Also there are the holidays and birthdays
that need to be gone through at least a couple times before those can feel
normal as well.
Another idea we discussed was the role of the step parent.
It is not the step parent’s job, nor should it be their job, the deal out the
heavy discipline that is sometimes needed throughout the growing years. Because
the step children have a tendency to perceive discipline differently from a
step parent. Even if the child does not know at the time when they get older
and find out they can look back on memories and interpret them differently
because of the new knowledge. Another role of the step parent is not to replace
the biological parent in some cases but rather be there as another support like
a great aunt or uncle.
Finally we discussed that remarried couple’s need to be sure
to council with each other even more often than those who have not been
divorced. They also need to be committed to each other. A previous marriage and
the divorce that ended it can create a lot of baggage that people tend to carry
over into their next relationship. If they do not resolve those issues or work
through them together than chances are that the new marriage could fail as
well.
Well that is all for now, hope you are having a great spring
Keep smiling
Sapphire.
No comments:
Post a Comment