My junior year of college I completed my literacy practicum
at one of the local elementary schools. We were there to apply the principles
that we had been learning in our literacy classes in order to help children
learn how to read and write. One of my classmates and myself were assigned to a
kindergarten teacher who was not much older than we were. Although we did not
do much direct instruct in regards to reading, I have never been in a kindergarten
classroom that I thought was more developmentally appropriate for children.
Every day the children would work at centers. These centers were a variety of activities
to help children learn something. A few of the activities could be numbers. The
others were letters. Some were life skills and others were a mix in between all
of them. Each geared to help teach the children many different ways.
To some this might seem like a waste of time, energy and resources.
Would it not be far more efficient to just have one or two activities that
teach one principle?
NOPE!
Efficient, maybe, but effective. Not likely. Anyone who has
interacted with children……wait, no, scratch that….anyone who has interacted
with PEOPLE know that no two people are exactly alike. We all have different
skin, eye and hair color. We all have different personalities. We all think different
thoughts. We all have different likes and dislikes. So it should come of little
surprise to know that the way we each learn is different as well.
What this kindergarten teacher was doing was making sure
each child was able to learn in the way that they learn best. They were
receiving an equitable education. No equity does not mean the same as equal. A
post by Shane Safir defined both in simple terms that I feel explains them
well. “If equality means
giving everyone the same resources, equity means
giving each student access to the resources they need to
learn and thrive.”
So what does this have to do with gender?
I am glad you asked.
Gender is yet another one of the many traits that sets us
apart. Yes, ladies and gentleman, females and males, men and women, boys and
girls, the two sexes are different. And yes I say two because regardless of
what gender you identify with or call yourself children are born into this
world, except for one or two very, very rare exceptions, as either male or
female.
There, now to further express my opinion on the controversial
topic, yes, I do believe that man and woman are equal. I do not think that
means we are the same. I do believe in equal opportunity however I believe it
is important to acknowledge our limitations as well as our strengths.
Because of the way men and woman’s brains are wired, not
only to we think differently. We learn differently. If we truly want to be able
to give both men and woman equal opportunity we need to teach them differently.
The first step to that is to acknowledge that the two are different. For
example men, because of the way they think and the process, tend to be better
at math. This does not mean girls cannot be but statistics of SAT and ACT
scores do show that males tend to get higher scores. Well, at least male learn
math better the way we traditionally teach it. A few schools have tried math
classes just for girls and have found they are far more likely to truly learn
when they are working together in a group.
Of course there are exceptions in every case. Just as I
started out saying, every child is different. That includes gender. I feel that
as a society by refusing to acknowledge our differences and use our own unique
strengths because of it, we are holding ourselves back as a society.
No comments:
Post a Comment