Hello my dear readers,
the topic for today is (drumroll) dating and relationships! How appropriate for Valentines Day week.
The text book we ready
in my class gave a brief overview of the way that courtship has changed over
the years. For many, many years, marriages were arranged affairs, often with an
agenda in mind. Joining to families or countries. Marrying up in the social hierarchy.
To carry on a family line or money. Love did not actually come into the picture
for a long, long time and when it did it was consider mostly a frivolous, courtly
affair among royals. Now look what has happened. Love has become one of the soul
reasons, if not the only one, that couple decide to marry. Yes there are still
many countries that have arranged marriages but for many it is for love that
you marry someone.
Hey, I am not arguing.
Like so many others I too dream of marrying for love. I imagine falling in love
with my best friend and being with him for eternity.
However, especially
after this week’s study of dating and courtship, I do not believe that love
alone is enough to determine whether a relationship will last or whether it
will slowly erode away over the years.
So what does it take?
With divorces seeming to be more frequent and marriages less so as cohabitation
and single parenting becomes more common. What kind of people are you more
likely to form a connection with? Here are just a few that we have discussed
and one in particular that I want to point out.
One factor is a word I
have never heard before in my life but the concept makes sense at least. The
word is: Propinquity. Try and say
that ten times fast. Basically Propinquity is the state of being close. Either
to something or someone but in this case we will use it as someone. You are
more likely to get together with someone who lives close to you rather than
someone who lives far. In all honesty it is not hard to see why. When you live
close together you can see each other more often. Talk and communicate. You are
more likely to share similar backgrounds and have shared experiences. There is
also the better chances of you meeting. This can be in home towns, at work, at
school and so on.
Of course this by no
means that things will be smoother because you have lived closer together.
After all every family and ever individual is different. Everyone has their own
views and expectations and when two people come together all of that either
clicks or collides, mostly a mixture of both.
Another factor usually
involved in attraction. There is physical attraction and attraction to someone’s
personality. One often affects the other. The amount of physical attraction can
make their personality traits seem more attractive and vise versa.
Alright so we have
proximity, we have the initial attraction which makes people take notice of each
other. Hmmmmm…..what comes next. Oh right. Actually getting together more.
Hanging out to casual dating. Casual to exclusive (or courtship if we want to
be fancy about it). An exclusive to marriage. Or cohabitation. That or a break
up interrupts it somewhere but we won’t focus on that today.
So, assuming that the
relationship followed through to the end…..or rather the beginning, whatever
your view. How do you make sure it sticks?
Now I am not marriage counselor.
I am only taking a few family classes in college and I have never been in a
serious relationship. But from what I have learned so far, through class,
observation and experience, there are three things that I have found
fundamental to making any relationship to work.
One is communication. I
have often people say they broke up or get a divorce because they simply do not
love each other anymore. So continually talk to each other. Keeping the lines
of communication open and free between two partners is vital. Not only does
this prevent misunderstandings but it also helps both to continue to get to
know each other. Everyone is always changing. Often in small amounts but there
is always something more to learn about a person. Continue to learn about your
partner.
Two, shared goals. There
is going to be times when you do not agree. Arguments or disputes are kind of
unavoidable with how much peoples view often differs. There are even times when
you outright dislike each other. But if you have shared goals, then they can
help you stick with it and work things out until the opposition fades and the
love returns once more.
This final one is one I
saw in my house so many times growing up. Service. Doing something for the one
you care about. Even, or perhaps especially, when you are not happy with them.
I do not believe marriage to be a 50/50 deal. Yes I do believe that any
relationship needs to have both members invested but 100%. There will be time
when one falls short, but if each continues to give that 100% you will have plenty stored up for when you run into those
hard times.
Alright that is it for
tonight. Have a wonderful weekend. Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment