Saturday, February 3, 2018

What Makes a Culture Valid or Invalid?

Okay, okay, please don’t bite my head off for this one. I know this is a controversial topic.  Hey, I am study family, which has been the main topic in controversy for the past couple years. But it was an interesting question posed in one of my classes this week. Is there such think as valid or invalid cultures? I was honestly a little taken aback by the question. Since a young age I was fascinated by other cultures, especially ancient ones. Culture is part of identity. It creates rich and amazing variety in our world. In a world that is striving to be more and more accepting of walks in life, is there such thing as a valid culture?

Well first let’s address what culture is? It is more than race. The clothes that are worn. The language that is spoken. Culture is interwoven into so many aspects of a group and has so many layers it can be often difficult to discern what aspects are part of a collective culture or not. Culture is the customs, rituals, rules and traditions of a society. Culture even goes as deep as philosophy, the way people think about and view the world around them.

Valid is for something to have sound basis in logic and fact. To have reason.

Are there some cultures that are not reasonable?

Yes, honestly, I think there are.

The family is what I base my value of a society on. I believe that the family is “the fundamental unit of society.” (The Family a Proclamation to the World). As such that is what I base my ideas on whether or not a culture is valid is by asking a question. Does that culture, promote, protect and strengthen the family?

Throughout this week, in a few of my classes, we studied cultures and its effects on families. I was curious about whether or not any culture, based on my question, was better than all the others. If there was a culture that validated and promoted the family the way that I see it. I was a little disappointed to find that there was not one culture that seem to satisfy me. Yes, there were many parts of different cultures that I thought were amazing in their regards to family. One culture emphasizes the importance of the mother in the home. Another the importance of having a father in the home. Many of them shared good ideals. However, in each culture, I would often find an idea that affected a family in ways I felt were harmful. My teacher actually said in class “Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just take part of this culture here, a part of that culture there and put it all together to create the ideal culture?”

I am not saying that every culture, that every people needs to be the same. I feel that the traditions and rituals often performed by a group of people often creates unity. In family, in a community, and then in society as a whole. However, there are some practices I feel that either distract or detract from the family. In the US today, for example, a cultural norm has become the idea that it is better to become established in a career before you get married. Or at least before you have children. As a result it often causes people to put their jobs and money before their family members causes great harm.

One of the hardest things to acknowledge this week was that the perfect culture that puts the family at its center does not exist. At least not perfectly yet. It is an ideal. A standard. A utopia many are striving to reach for, but with so many ideas and paths to follow I am afraid we all become a little lost in the search.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and have the freedom to make their choices. In my opinion there is a document, presented in 1995 by the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, that perfectly lays out the ideals of the family. I believe once the ideal of family is firmly understood for what it is meant to be, only then can a culture or society center itself around it.


No comments:

Post a Comment